The theme for this challenge is: BOLD & BRIGHT
I've been embracing strong and vibrant colours in my recent work and I challenge you to do the same!
Closing date: Midnight GMT, 9th March 2016
One lucky person will win this awesome prize!
For my piece above, I've tinted DecoArt Modeling Paste with fluid acrylics. If you want to have a go at this technique for your challenge entry, here's a short video showing you how:
I know some of you might be wary of bright colours, but don't be! Have a play and see what happens - the worst case scenario is a wasted piece of paper. Here are a few tips to help you embrace your colourful side:
- When you are layering bold colours, especially contrasting colours, it's important to dry your layers between coats. If you over mix the paints you risk creating muddy colours and losing that vibrancy.
- Check whether your paint choice is translucent or opaque - layering with translucent paints will change the tone of the underlying paint.
- Use what I like to call a 'crash test dummy', a spare piece of scrap substrate that you can test on before moving onto your main artwork.
- Experiment by applying paint with tools other than a brush. Try using a credit card, palette knife or texture tools. Add paint by splattering it or using a stamp.
- Most importantly, allow yourself to create freely. Don't be frightened of making mistakes; sometimes a mistake leads to an amazing piece of art!
There are a few simple challenge rules to follow, so please take a quick read before entering:
-Please use at least one Andy Skinner product in your creation. This includes the whole of the DecoArt Media Line plus my designs for DecoArt stencils, Stampendous stamps, and Tando Creative Stencils and Chipboard. Remember to mention in your post which item(s) you have used.
-Please DO NOT use rival brands of either paint or mediums - DecoArt only; there is no problem with using other products of any brand.
-You can use any substrate you wish.
-Please link to the actual blog post which relates to the challenge, not simply to your blog and make sure you include a link back to this challenge in your post.
-Entry is via the Linky below and I regret that due to time constraints I can't accept entries any other way.
-The challenge is open internationally and all entrants following the rules will be eligible to win.
-You can combine my challenge with as many others as you like but I want to see clear evidence that the theme has been the inspiration for your piece.
Entries that don't meet the above requirements will not be eligible to win.
Can't wait to see what you create and GOOD LUCK!