I picked up this cool Moroccan Picture frame last week with the idea of altering it.
It is made from Acacia wood and had a simple white wash applied with a little distressed sanding.
I began by adding lots of different colour washes using Decoart Americana and Traditions acrylic paint. A layer of gesso was added on top of each colour wash and sanded and scrapped back to reveal some of the layer below.
The shutter doors I decided would look good rusty as well as the embellishment's…
I know.. I know but I cant help it!! I had to add some rust, I am just totally drawn to its fantastic vibrant colours… I am the same when it comes to Moroccan spices!
Here are the finished results, you can click the pictures for a larger view.
I made a box to fit behind the frame opening to fill with a few curiosities.
The picture is of a Moroccan mother and child to which I constructed a driftwood frame around.
Fibres and lace were attached to back of the driftwood frame, a heart made from Lutrador and a TH number plaque (rusted obviously:) were attached to the driftwood.
The background of the box was painted with Decoart Crackle texture and some Moroccan postal papers were glued into place.
This project actually took my much longer than I had planned for but was good fun to do.