Friday 13 April 2018

Industrial shabby vintage media board.


Hi Everyone - Brenda here to share a sample board I made for Stitches back in February. I made it before we had the new kits and stamps because I wanted to show how Andy has inspired me and taught me. I have been very lucky to have attended many of Andy's workshops over quite a few years (at least 10 and probably more!!!) and I have also taken some of his online classes. In fact I am on my way to Coventry today to take part in the Ministry of Mixology weekend with both Andy and France  Papillon teaching, these are the most amazing retreats where we have so much fun and learn so much.
So my key message to you is that if you get a chance to go to an Andy Skinner workshop then please do, if you have been thinking about going you won't regret it, you will be made very welcome and make lots of new friends. Those of you who have already attended one and know Andy will already be aware of his style, antics and humour!! 


This media board make bears witness to the fact that it was Andy who got me into the grungy, messy and industrial genre of art but in those early days I was also loving my distress inks and the vintage focus from Tim Holtz. As time went by I found myself mixing and matching products and styles to the point where I think now I produce a whole range of eclectic pieces, but my favourite is something like this with the neutrals of old sepia vintage photos and the cogs and elements of the industrial age.


I have a board book that Andy did as a workshop when the Craft Attic at Wantage was open with the lovely Wendy at the helm. In it I have got samples and notes of the techniques he taught us that I still refer to today. I have also got altered sketchbooks that I keep notes and ideas in, one in particular where I have some of Andy's and also lots of my own techniques written down with a cover taught by him. These days I now love going to Ministry of Mixology retreat weekends, enjoying the fun and social side as well as the creative learning that goes on. In fact I will be on my way later today to Coventry for such a weekend with both Andy and France papillon teaching.


Thanks for reading my ramblings but I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Andy for his inspiration, teaching and support, without which I wouldn't be doing what I love doing today.
Andy you're a star.


I have a few more photos and information about how this piece came together over on my blog which you might find useful.

Thanks for stopping by.

hugs Brenda xxx



Products I use in my art and workshops are from -








Click on the product links above to be transported to the retailers.



5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous. Wonderful worn vintage look. Tracy ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that worn background Brenda...really looks amazing !!! Must give this a try xx

    TFS and hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy is a star Brenda, you are right, but so are you! I love it when you add your own personal 'twists' to the projects you make. This one is absolutely exquisite, it looks like something that has been unearthed from someone's attic or basement where it has been lying for many years - beautifully aged and rustic! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated.