Saturday 16 July 2011

Projects Underway…A Taste Of Morocco

Hi all,
Nothing actually completed to share with you today, but thought I would show you a project I am currently working on.

This is a toiletry box which measures 25cm x 16cm and is made of thick cardboard and ideal for this project.

DSC_0464
I visited one of my favourite shops last week called EN ROUTE in Chesham, Its a little Moroccan emporium full of amazing goodies, If I get chance I will post some pictures of it on twitter later.
Anyway that's where the inspiration came from for this box.

Stage 1
Click On Images for A Larger View
DSC_0473
First I cut the hole in the front of the box with a craft knife.
I then applied Decoart Stucco using a pallet knife to the surface, once dry I added a little Picket Fence Distress Crackle paint in random areas.
Script from my Simply Angelic stamp set was then stamped onto tissue paper and applied to the surface using Decoart Gesso.
Detail around the top of the arch was hand cut from Grunge paper and stuck with a strong glue.
The very very cool wrought Iron Gates are actually a Mask made by Tando Creative and available here at the Craft Barn.
I could not resist adding a battery operated LED light inside!

Here it is with the lights off.
DSC_0470

Stage 2
DSC_0477 (Small)

The inside of the box had a brushed Silver effect (not very Moroccan) so I added Adirondack Alcohol Inks in Sunset Orange, Ginger and Rust.

Stage 3
DSC_0484
I then added Decoart Glazing medium to Americana Yellow Ochre and Raw Umber, this gives the paint a very translucent quality, it was then painted over the Stucco with a brush and before it dried I gently wiped back the paint with a paper towel.
Here is a close-up of the effect and it also shows the Distress Crackle Paint.
DSC_0491
The gates have been painted with Buttermilk,  aged and rusted.

Stage 4
Well this is far as I have got thus far, but I will post more when I have finished the outside and filled it with goodies!

Andy

4 comments:

  1. amazing work and imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative project you are making! The gate is amazing. It looks wonderful in light or dark. Can't wait to see the finished project, although it looks amazing to me right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy, it's an amazing piece of artwork you created here! Very beautiful and I really like the light within! greetz Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful... love the texture you created and the light is such a beautiful feature. Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated.