Thursday 22 October 2020

There is a Skull in my Plate!

 

Hello dears, it’s Natassa here with a fun project for Spooktober Week 3 “Day of the Dead”. And what could be more iconic symbol for Día de los Muertos that sugar skulls.

So, I tried to think of a cheerful project, that you could easily do together with your kids and create the cutest creepy décor for a Halloween party.

Sugar Skull Party Plates

Below, I have got a video tutorial for you, where I’m showing exactly how I created my sugar skull plates. What is clever about this project, is that since you use clear plastic plates and do all the decorating on the back side, they are perfectly safe to put food in them! 

https://youtu.be/CVTYe4AhpVQ



For this project, I used first of all Andy Skinner’s “Sugar Skull” rubber stamp by Creative Expressions. I stamped many skulls on regular printers paper and colored them with alcohol markers. I fussy cut the skulls and glued them on the center of the back side of the plates with matte medium. Let them dry very well. If you are ipmatient like me, you can use a hair drier, set to cold air, so that the plastic plates do not warp from the heat.

Then, I chose to paint the plates with Andy Skinner’s CS Matt Chalk Paints, because I needed opaque colors with a good grip on a non-porous surface such as plastic.

For the decoration of the plates’ bases, I also used Andy Skinner’s Stencils and a couple of acrylic permanent markers in black, white, and gold.

What you have to keep in mind is the order you put the skull and the colors. First you want to glue the skull cutout , then make the background design either with a stencil or do some doodling, then the background color and lastly a layer of black chalk paint or black gesso to seal everything. That black color makes the other layers pop up.

Lastly, a couple of layers of Andy Skinner’s CS Super Matt Varnish, will protect the paint from chipping off. And if you want to give your plates a more luxurious look, you can dry brush some golden acrylic paint on the black paint, just before the varnish.

I really hope you find this project fun and try it yourselves. Remember the Spooktober Challenge by Creative Expressions is still open. You can visit the group’s FB page, upload your spooky projects and tag them #cespooktober, so we can find them. 

Thanks for stopping by. You all keep safe 

Hugs from Greece

Natassa

👻🎃💀












Kaleidoscope, In a While Crocodile, Flying Coins, Let it Rain


Other Supplies

Ranger Archival Ink 
Black gesso
Matte Medium
Golden Acrylic paint
Acrylic markers
Alcohol markers
1/2" and 1" Flat brushes
Soft sponge
Clear plastic party plates
Regular 80gsm printers paper

1 comment:

  1. I elaborate cut the minds and pasted them on the midpoint of the spinal side of the dishes with dull average. Let them dry very healthy. If you are annoyed like me, you can use a hair clotheshorse, set to emotionless air, rubber & plastics so that the plastic plates do not warp from the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated.