Wednesday 6 April 2011

The da Vinci Project

I wanted to share with you this birch wooden box from the Craft Barn I made yesterday using the Americana spray image transfer technique shown in my earlier video.
In the video I was using it on bisque and cardstock so yesterday I had a go onto wood.
I printed a few copies of Leonardo da Vinci's study of a woman's head on a laser printer and transferred the larger copy onto the box lid and the smaller onto a tag to match.
Andy-Skinner-Image-Transfer-1
I used distress inks with my blending tool to create a background and age it. I then used a crackled background stamp with Frayed Burlap Distress ink and stamped Object d’ Art from my Antiques set with Black Archival. I finished the top with a few coats of Americana Matte spray which gives a slightly satin finish and added a pendant from Calico Crafts Steampunk metal range.

For the base I have used Decoart Americana acrylics with there weathered wood medium for an aged and worn cracked effect. These products are also available from Calico Crafts.

Andy-Skinner-image-transfer-tag1
A quick note on using this process on wood;
I so far have only tried this on birch and have found the smoother the wood the better the transfer, although I want the image to be slightly imperfect I would recommend sanding the wood first.

Andy

3 comments:

  1. Fab box and the transfers look fabulous Andy !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this box Andy. Please please please can you do a workshop on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me ha encantado el tutorial de transfer que has hecho, es excelente y superfacil, gracias

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated.